In order to understand why it is wrong for a Christian to celebrate Halloween, we must understand how God feels about the celebration of death and darkness , rebellion, and magic/sorcery. . .
1. ‘But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.’ (Proverbs 8:36)
2. ‘Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will cast thee from off the face of the earth: this year thou shalt die, because thou hast taught rebellion against the LORD.’ (Jeremiah 28:16)
3. ‘If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.’ (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
4. ‘For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. . . ‘ (1 Samuel 15:23)
5. ‘If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:’ (Psalm 66:18)
6. ‘A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.’ (Leviticus 20:27)
7. ‘Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.’ (Exodus 22:18)
8. ‘Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.’ (Leviticus 19:31)
9. ‘And he made his son pass through the fire, and observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits and wizards: he wrought much wickedness in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.’ (2 Kings 21:6)
10. ’And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts. For I am the LORD, I change not . . . ‘ (Malacchi 3:5-6)
11. ‘ . . . Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God. But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation ) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him, And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord? And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand.
Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord.’ (Acts 13:7-12)
12. ‘The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.’ (Numbers 14:18)
13. ‘Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.’ (Galatians 5:19-21)
14. ‘Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils. Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? . . . ‘ (1 Corinthians 10:21-22)
15. ‘He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil . . . In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.’ (1 John 3:8-10)
16. ‘For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.’ (Ephesians 6:12)
17. ‘He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.’ (Revelation 21:7-8)
18. ‘And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds. Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.’ (Acts 19:18-20)
19. ‘Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.’ (3 John 1:11)
20. ‘O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.’ (Psalm 96:9)
21. ‘But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light’ (1 Peter 2:9)
22. ‘For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light’ (Ephesians 5:8)
23. ‘And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.’ (Ephesians 5:11)
24. ‘ . . . what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.’ (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)
25. ‘Abstain from all appearance of evil.’ (1 Thessalonians 5:22)
26. ‘And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.’ (Leviticus 20:26)
27. ‘Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation*; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.’ (1 Peter 1:13-16)
*conversation = behavior
28. ‘There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God. For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.’ (Deuteronomy 18:10-14)
29. ‘Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.’ (Revelation 22:14-15)
30. ‘And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life.’ (Revelation 21:27)
31. ‘I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members* servants to righteousness unto holiness.’ (Romans 6:19)
*members = body parts
32. ‘And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.’ (Ephesians 4:24)
33. ‘For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. . . But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.’ (Romans 6:20, 22-23)
34. ‘For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.’ (1 Thessalonians 4:7-8)
35. ‘Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord’ (Hebrews 12:14)
36. ‘Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you’ (1 Peter 4:1-4)
37. ‘Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!’ (Isaiah 5:20)
38. ‘For men shall be lovers of their own selves . . . unholy . . . lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.’ (2 Thessalonians 3:2, 4-5)
39. ‘This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me . . . ‘ (Matthew 15:8-9)
40. ‘And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.’ (Revelation 9:20-21)
41. ‘And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. . . she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her. . . And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all. . . for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.’ (From Revelation 18:1-2, 8, 21,23)
From beginning to end, the Bible is clear: God hates rebellion, and He hates sorcery/witchcraft. He wants His people to be holy, and separate themselves from every thing that defiles. This sounds simple enough–but Jesus said:
‘ . . . strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and FEW there be that find it.’ (Matt. 7:14)
Let me tell you why that is: because just ‘believing in’ Jesus isn’t enough. You must OBEY Him too.
‘Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOETH the will of my Father which is in heaven.’ (Matt. 7:21)
‘Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye DOERS of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.’ (James 1:21-22)